Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Cellular telcos and Palm can go to hell...my next handheld is going to be Windows CE based

A new hack for the Treo 650 has just proved that Palm cripples it's hardware for cellular companies afraid of losing out to unregulated VoIP using WiFi. I found something similar when I got a new cell phone from Bell, a nokia 6585, that is (uncrippled) capable of downloading ringtones and java applications over an irda connection, but actually can't, since Bell wants to make some more money selling their crappy tones and programs. It makes me really angry when companies make screwing customers part of their business model.

So for my next handheld (which I can't justify now) I'll get a Pocket PC device, with WiFi, and use Skype for VoIP, while waving my middle finger at both Bell and Palm.

To read more about this, check out this Slashdot thread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home