Thursday, February 24, 2005

Television needs to rethink itself

TV as it is now is dying, and I couldn't be happier. In the next living arrangement I find myself in, roommates permitting, I am seriously considering not getting TV service. I'll keep my TV with the xbox hooked up, and a dvd player, but I want to go without cable or satellite. For one, it will be a huge time saver. I don't even want to begin to think about how much time I'd save not lying on the couch. Then there's the money. When all is said and done, in our house of 5 people, we spend about $60 a month on cable, or yearly a little over $700. And this is to watch canned shows, with a 30% ad content. When you stop and think about it, it's actually pretty rediculous that TV occupies such a central spot in our lives.
I've written about how great BitTorrent is, and another great thing about it is how you can download almost any show after it airs on TV, without ads. If this natural market shift was to be allowed to continue, television production would need to change it's source of revenue from advertising dollars to something along the lines of audience subscription. New shows would involve a certain amount of risk, but investors could back projects much like they do in the movie industry hoping for returns. But until then, I'll take my free tv, ad free.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thanatos said...

After I moved into my new apartment last year, I decided not to get any TV service. I don't miss it at all. I watch movies mostly now, it's much more entertaining and doesn't consume nearly as much time.

2:12 PM  
Blogger citygurl said...

I work in television, so you'd think I'd watch more tv, but I hate it, I absolutely hate it...BUT I love movies. And I LOVE netflix. Anything that's actually any good goes to DVD anyway, I just rented 24--it's awesome...but there is no way I could committ to actually watching it at the same time each week.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous chaps said...

i must say...during the university days, it was all about anime, never really had time for tv...and plus, had to graduate my ass.

if we were to watch asian tv...ie. japanese, chinese, the likes...you'd see that they've been doing the reality tv stuff long time ago. which is really sad that we're still using the dying animal here.

on another note, yes capitalism at it's best...just make sure that you're at the top of the food chain, because it's not fun being at the bottom.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home