Sunday, July 03, 2005

Overdue update

It's been forever since my last post. I often think to myself about something cool to post, but by the time I'm back at my PC, I've forgotten. Such as life.

My birthday just passed, and I got Sony DRX-800UL external DVD writer. It's pretty cool, and considering the amount of downloading I do, it was about time. I've recently gone on a spree of downloading documentaries (yeah, I know, I'm a 50 yr old trapped in a 24 year old's body) mainly purtaining to the war in Iraq, or some more general political topic. Some gems I've recently watched are from CBC's Correspondent series, called 'Meet the Stans' that followed a reporter on his travels through the lesser known former Soviet republics Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. It's an eye opening look at a region that not many people know much about, that will likely play an important political role in coming years. Check them out if you can.

It's pretty sad that the internet seems to be the best way to find quality programming. TBS will rerun the same crappy multimillion dollar blockbuster 3 times in a row, but a groundbreaking documentary gets a brief unheralded airing on a channel like PBS (a previously politically unaffiliated channel that may go down the tubes now being headed by a Republican campaign guru) and then fades into relative obscurity. Thankfully there are people who think it's important to distribute them online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home